Erectile Dysfunction Specialist in NYC
Erectile Dysfunction can be a cause of embarrassment in men, but this condition can be treated with surgical and nonsurgical treatment options. Dr. Valenzuela has extensive experience diagnosing and treating ED in men from Manhattan, The Bronx Brooklyn, Queens, and from throughout the Greater Tri-State region. Please call (212) 781-9696 to schedule a consultation at our urology clinic in NYC.
At what age does erectile dysfunction affect men?
Erectile dysfunction can affect men of any age, but is more common as men get older. In younger men, psychological issues are often the cause of ED. In older men, ED more frequently has an underlying physical cause, such as diseases like heart disease or diabetes.
Do all men suffer from erectile dysfunction as they get older?
Erectile dysfunction does not have to happen as you age. Some older men can only achieve an erection with extra stimulation (like touching and stroking), but they should still be able to have a satisfying sex life.
What causes erectile dysfunction?
Many things can contribute to erectile dysfunction, including:
- Diseases such as high blood pressure, diabetes, and heart disease
- Surgery for prostate cancer and other conditions
- Medications for high blood pressure and depression
- Trauma to the groin, including a fractured pelvis or injury to the genitalia
- Smoking or excessive alcohol intake.
Can I prevent erectile dysfunction?
Erections depend upon a strong blood flow to the penis, so activities that reduce your risk of heart disease may also prevent or improve your erectile dysfunction. This includes:
- exercising at least 150 minutes a week
- maintaining a healthy weight
- giving up smoking
- drinking less (or no) alcohol
- monitoring your cholesterol level and blood pressure, and obtaining treatment, as needed.
Do medications like Viagra work well for erectile dysfunction?
Erectile dysfunction medications like Viagra are the most common treatment, and are effective in about 60 to 70 percent of men. These medications have minimal side effects.
Will my insurance cover treatment for erectile dysfunction?
Treatments for an underlying medical condition that is causing erectile dysfunction (such as heart disease) are usually covered in part or full by insurance. Medications that have not been approved by the FDA as well as sex therapy, are unlikely to be covered. You can contact your insurance provider or Dr. Valenzuela for more information.
What is Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile Dysfunction: It’s common, and it’s treatable.
If you are dealing with erectile dysfunction (ED), you are not alone: nearly one in every four men over sixty-five will experience some degree of erectile dysfunction.1 Younger men often struggle with ED as well. By taking the time to educate yourself about ED, you’ve made an important first step in finding a solution to erectile dysfunction (impotence).
Erectile Dysfunction is the consistent inability to sustain an erection sufficient for sexual intercourse.
Erectile Dysfunction can be:
- A total inability to achieve an erection – You can never get an erection.
- An inconsistent ability to do so – You can only occasionally get an erection.
- A tendency to sustain only brief erections – You can get an erection, but can’t keep it long enough for satisfying sex.
What Causes ED?
As a result of recent medical research, it is now known that more than 80% of men suffering from ED can trace its origin to a physical problem or disorder.
For most men, the cause of ED can now be fairly easily identified. Once identified, proper treatment can be recommended that may help you return them to a satisfying sex life.
ED can be caused by physical disorders such as:
- An injury (i.e. brain or spinal cord)
- A disease (i.e. diabetes, high blood pressure, or high cholesterol)
- Various studies have estimated that between 20% – 71% of individuals with diabetes suffer from erectile dysfunction.2
- An operation (i.e. prostate gland removal)
- Substance use (i.e. tobacco, drugs, alcohol or medications)
Other facts about Erectile Dysfunction (Impotence):
- Approximately 30 million American men suffer from erectile dysfunction.
- Most men with erectile dysfunction still have the ability to have an orgasm and father a child, but often have difficulty doing these things because they can’t get or sustain an erection.
- Erectile dysfunction is not normal and is by no means an inevitable consequence of aging.
- Most men at one time or another during their sexual lives are unable to get or keep an erection. This is normal and does not indicate a problem. However, millions of men of all ages experience this inability as a continuing problem.
- In most cases, erectile dysfunction can be overcome.
- Rosen R, et al. The process of care model for evaluation and treatment of erectile dysfunction. Int’l J. Impotence Research. 1999; 11, 59-74,
- Penson D, et al. Erectile Dysfunction in Diabetic Patients. Diabetes Spectrum. 2004, Vol 17, No. 4, 225-230.
Schedule a Consultation With An Erectile Dysfunction Specialist in NYC Today!
Dr. Robert Valenzuela is a board-certified and dedicated urologist with extensive experience diagnosisng and treating erectile dysfunction in patients. If you are a man near NYC, Queens, Brooklyn, or The Bronx and are experiencing any of the symptoms related to ED, please call (212) 781-9696 to schedule a consultation at our urology clinic in NYC today. Dr. Valenzuela will take the time to fully discuss your condition and determine the treatment options best for you.