When a man discovers that he has erectile dysfunction, there are several treatments. Many times medications will work for a time, but it is estimated that 40% of men discontinue their use within one year due to a number of issues. Injections are the next line of treatment, but if these do not prove to be satisfactory, most men decide on a penile implant. We will discuss implants here including the two types, their benefits, plus the question: how long do penile implants last?
Penile Implant Options
Penile implants are devices placed inside the penis to allow men with ED, or sometimes Peyronie’s Disease, to have erections and regain sexual function.
In general, there are two types of penile implants: inflatable and semi-rigid.
The inflatable implant has two cylinders, a pump in the scrotum and a reservoir filled with fluid. When an erection is desired, the man presses the pump inside the scrotum which allows the fluid to transfer to the cylinders producing an erection. You are able to control the level of hardness and the erection will not deflate until you press a valve on the pump to return the fluid to the reservoir.
The semi-rigid implant has two firm but flexible rods implanted in the penis. With this one you simply move the penis in place for sexual intercourse and move it back afterward.
Penile Implant Lifespan
Most penile implant devices will last an average of 20 years.
If it should stop working, it can be replaced.
The Benefits of a Penile Implant
Aside from the long lifespan of the device, there are numerous other benefits including:
- They are very durable.
- You are once again in control of your body.
- No one will know you have an implant as it is contained within the body.
- Discretion. You operate the pump when you are ready. There is no waiting like with a pill.
- You can achieve an erection in 15 seconds and keep it as long as you wish.
- The devices do not affect your ability to ejaculate or have an orgasm.
- They do not affect the sensation of the skin on your penis.
- Your partner will not be able to tell any difference between a naturally erect penis and one with a device.
- Over 90% of men are very happy with the results.
- Implanting the device is an outpatient procedure and you go home the same day.
- It will restore your self esteem and confidence.